Thursday 10 March 2011

Everything Happens for a Reason

This is one of my strongest beliefs in life.
My life was planned out long before I was born and everything that happens is part of God's plan. And he wouldn't do anything for no reason, the challenege is to find the reason.
For example:
Many criticise those who have faith saying 'If there was a God, why would he let there be poverty and natural disasters etc'. My answer is simple - God is calling us to reach out to those in need. He is calling us to respond to his messages in the gospels by getting active, actively doing something to help others. Being a practicising Catholic. And many centre their life around these causes, such as those who work for charities like CAFOD. We also should take something to learn from these things, for there is ALWAYS something to learn. The best example is 9/11, a tragedy which shook the world. But what have we learnt - we have learnt to be aware of the evil among us, we have increased our security and protection, measures that have only been implemented because of this event and look how we have benefited. I understand that obviously it would have been nice if it hadn't happened at all, but people who say that are looking for a perfect world and we don't live in one. God sets us a challenge for a reason.
My other example would be when someone dies. And people are struck with grief and question why. Even this I would consider happens for a reason. When my Grandad died unexpectantly, a fit and healthy man who had many years in him yet, we couldn't understand why this had happened. But his death brought me and nan closer together. Before he died, me and my nan didn't get on. But we found love and strength in one another that we didn't know was there and that is so valuable. No it does not mean I wouldn't have my Grandad back if I could, but I can't change it and I can't have him back. So instead I have to take the positive out of it. I was also young at the time and it was the first experience I ever had of losing a family member who was so close to me. And this built my strength. I also saw how it brought my family closer together. And I realised how lucky I was to have such a great family.
So I hold onto the belief that everything happens for a reason. And this gives me great strength and faith. And I'm lucky to have this.

No comments:

Post a Comment