Monday 9 May 2011

Those without faith

It is wrong to say I feel sorry for those who don't have faith, as this is unfair. They may believe in something different to me. They may find strength in other things. But as someone who's faith is at the heart of my life and who has gone through challenges in life where my faith has brought me the strength I need to get through and where I have simply had to have faith and believe I will pull through, I struggle to know how people go through tough tough times in life without faith.
Many people who know me know of my depression and so turn to me for advice, not just with their own depression but those going through tough times in their life have used me as a pillar and source of strength and turned to me for help.
I always find it difficult when there are people who turn to me and do not have faith. I give advice, not because I think I have all the answers but based on my own experiences. This is the only way I feel I can help people. And when they do not have faith I find it hard to communicate how important it is to believe. It is not so easy to say, 'Find the Lord in your life and seek his help, spend time in prayer with Him and you will find the strength to carry on'.
My fqaith also dictates how I approach problems and challenges. I believe my life is in God's hands, he sends me challenges and mountains to climb as it is through these that I find my strength, embark on a journey where I learn so much about myself, my own strengths and weaknesses and learn new things about the world. Those who don't have faith curse God, 'how can you believe in a God when this happens to you or you lose someone you love or when there is so much evil in the world?' And they don't see these things as a challenge to us, they see it as punishment.
A perfect example of this was in Eastenders last week Dot, a woman of great faith and someone who many turn to for help and advice because of the strength she has through her faith (ironic isn't it? - people don't realise she gets that strength because of her faith, like me) was faced with a grief striken Jack, who had just found out the baby he had been bringing up wasn't his, his child died before he even met him and his wife had swapped babies with another couple but kept it all a secret and was now in prison. Dot tried to explain that this was a challenge God had given him, an opportunity to find his strength, yet he saw it as punishment. Now I can completely understand that for those without faith would find it impossible to see it this way, even I have times where I think why is God doing this to me. There are many things in the Catholic faith that I know many without that faith can't get their heads around (for example we believe a man rose from the dead and healed people, we must look like nutters). As I write this I realise I'm thinking a lot about those who don't have my faith, and as I said, people may have other forms of faith and beliefs, but those without belief in anything... this must be hard. I also understand and completely sympathise with Dot's frustration when trying to comfort Jack who just can't be consoled.
A challenge for those of faith, but I do not try to convert people. I open their eyes to it, offer the possibility of my faith, or a faith, but I do not force it upon people.

No comments:

Post a Comment