Monday 9 May 2011

Don't let the silence do the talking

I have just completed my 24 hours of silence for Million Minutes. I have raised a total of £180 (without gift aid) so far.

So I started my silence finding things to do – dye my hair, paint my nails, update my blog, download some music, sleep, clean the house. And then I needed to find the peace and I feared this may be difficult. But I was looking forward to the silence because I needed time, time to sort my head out, to find my inner peace, to organise my thoughts and spend time in prayer. 

Observation – I am constantly updating twitter and facebook, regularly checking my newsfeeds, texting all the time, constant communication. Having a smart phone means there is no real cut off, I can receive my emails on the move, update twitter and facebook on the go. Yet in my silence, I loved being cut off and didn’t feel like I was missing out on something or wonder ‘what’s the world doing now?’ Yet I don’t think I will come out of this being less addicted to twitter or facebook, but it has opened my eyes to how much I rely on and use it. Many debate about this generation of young people who are constantly communicating and about the dangers and positives to this. I agree that because of the ability to constantly communicate you don’t find the time for silence, stillness, peace. But as a user of communication constantly, I also can see the benefits. I agree, people don’t talk enough anymore. I haven’t had a full conversation with my brother in months but I feel connected to him through facebook. My nan doesn’t understand this. And it is wrong. What I might take out of this is realising the importance of having connection with people through conversation and meeting, not just relying on networking sites to keep updated.

Even when I was doing a lot in silence(dying my hair, painting my nails etc) this was important time for me, no one else, just me. Time I don’t get often. No texts to reply to, or emails or facebook or twitter meant it was just me, myself and I. Important time that I don’t get. Especially living in London, a busy place where everyone is constantly on the go, it is important to find time for me. 

I thought time would stand still in silence. But it didn’t at all, even when I was not doing a lot. And before I knew it my 24 hours were over. I couldn’t believe it, I wanted it to carry on and on, I wouldn’t have broken the silence if I didn’t have to. But then I remembered, I don’t need to be sponsored to do it or be doing it for a reason to find that time of silence, peace and stillness. And that actually I should find time for it as often as possible in my everyday life as it is amazing how powerful it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment