Wednesday 14 December 2011

Silence

Last weekend I went on retreat and we were asked if we struggled to with silence. My instant answer was yes. I hate silence. I hate stillness. I have to be surrounded by activity, watching tv or listening to music. Even though I love time to myself, it is hardly ever in silence. Back in May I did a 24 hour silence for charity... the blog post I wrote is on here. I haven't had much silence since.

I saw my spiritual director today. She spoke to me about my busy life being the reason I may feel distant from God. 'Nothing in creation is so like God as stillness' - Meister Eckhard. My retreat leader, Fr Damien, told me that when I am silent, it is then I will hear God.
Edwina Gatelely wrote a psalm called 'Let your God Love You':
'Be silent.
Be still.
Alone.
Empty
Before your God.
Say nothing.
Ask nothing.
Be silent.
Be still.

Let your God
Look upon you.
That is all.
God knows
God understands.
God loves you
With an enormous love.
And only wants
To look upon you
With that love.
Quiet.
Still.
Be.

Let your God- Love you'

Wisdom 18:14
'When peaceful silence lay over all
and the night had run half its course,
Down from the heavens,
from the royal throne,
Leapt your almighty Word.
Into the heart of a troubled world.'

Such a powerful image. As it is Advent, I hope that I will find time for silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment