Wednesday 6 April 2011

In London, Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

So the day I was commissioned by the Archbishop of Westminster to work with YCW, we sang Empire State of Mind at the top of our voices, replacing New York for London.
When I applied for university just 7 months before, I chose all universities that were about an hour away from Cardiff. I didn't want to stay in Cardiff for university but I didn't want to be far from home. Yet I somehow had the courage to choose to go to London. It was the biggest decision I had ever made. I didn't particularly like London as a place, All I knew about it was that it was huge and overcrowded and busy all the time! And I hate all these things! Yet to turn down an amazing opportunity because I didn't like London as a place was rediculous. And so I took the job.
And I moved up to London. Leaving home was the hardest thing I had ever had to do, leaving my beautiful little sister, the most important thing in my life, was terrifying. But I was excited. I loved the YCW, more than anything and I was gonna get to do it full time! I was moving in with 3 of my best friends and to be honest got excited about London.
Got there and there was loads to adjust to, everything was different and everything was quite hard to get used to. I had to conquer some of my greatest fears also. But I was managing.And loved being with 3 of my best friends and the novelty was there.
It started rubbing off but I was ok. Just still adjusting. Then spent two weeks at home over Christmas and remembered how much I loved home. And how much I didn't have in London that I had at home. Firstly my vast amount of friends, who were always around and who I could see all the time. In London I didn't have any friends. And this put me in a very very lonely place. I also realised I loved the 3 people I lived and worked with, but was sick of them aswell, and didn't have anyone my own age to turn to. And no social activities, I did nothing but work. And so I had to change this.
But because of all this coming to light I also had to cope with my illness in a whole new way, a whole new situation and experience of my illness that I knew so well. I was stable but I was suddenly frightened I was going back down hill. And had to put a lot of mechanisms in place to help me cope with my illness.
And I wouldn't say I love London now, I still want to start a family and work in Cardiff. But I'm comfortable in London and appreciate how lucky I am.
And I have been lucky enough to have a job I love to carry me through and has enabled me to keep going, I have even decided to stay on longer.
Of course I have learnt so much, grown up so much, I didn't realise I could mature more but I have. I have a wider view of life, not so narrowed and now know what opportunities are available to me and I am not prepared to not try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment